Wednesday, July 9, 2014

I've got to fly....

and away I went!  

From the humble beginnings of an idea.  I promised a great friend a piece to stitch, something I would design with an amazing dragonfly.  I sketched and for awhile it sat, then I sketched some more.  Then came a chunk of time that I could run with the idea.    


akimberlydesign.blogspot.com
Initial drawing on canvas before painting.  
akimberlydesign.blogspot.com
"Flying Jewels"©2014
a Kimberly design©

Remember the border with the little dragonfly motifs I posted a few weeks ago...It's along the top, along the bottom is the line up ready for take off.  
Here you see it all!!  Hand painted piece measures approximately 12" square on eighteen count canvas 
akimberlydesign.blogspot.com
Voila!  Check out my fabulous dragonfly!!  

This could not have happened without the support of Kreinik Mfg. I was on a tear looking for copper mesh.  I knew it existed but finding it proved to be a daunting task.  I could find ugly gray screen at the hardware store, I explored the net and exchanged emails with someone in China.  

Then I had one of those blinding flashes of brilliance...they do happen! The inner voice shouted at me....'KIMBERLY, YOU NEED METAL, CALL DENA AT KREINIK'.  After all, they have provided me with beautiful metallics to stitch with throughout my career as a designer.  Dena responded within a day that YES! Doug has a source, then Doug emailed, YES, what do you need...I replied, he wrote back, I answered, then asked, 'are you going to carry it', YES!  WOW, I was doing a happy dance! 

Of course, the copper mesh arrived and I had stitched the rest of the canvas to be ready for it.  

But...what if it didn't work, so I stared at it for a couple of days...then dove in.  I cut out the shapes, scored the veins in, edged it with metallic thread, attached the wings and my dragonfly came to life!  Then I stared at it again for awhile, it's just so nice when a plan comes together.  Pretty sure this all occurred late in an evening, pretty sure I was snapping pictures and texting with Ruth to say, 'Hey, look what I did!!'  
akimberlydesign.blogspot.com
They really do come in this awesome color!
Not the greatest picture...crazy bugs move pretty fast.  
I was lucky to get this.  

"Flying Jewels"© is available as a painted canvas
with awesome stitch guide & copper mesh

Have your favorite LNS contact
wholesale  from Ruth Schmuff Designs
or
Bedecked and Beadazzled

Have to add a P.S. here.

I belong to an amazingly talented group on FaceBook with the pin name "Needlepoint Nation".  When I commented on my fruitless treasure hunt for copper mesh one of the members private messaged me to say she had some screen and would send it to me. She was thrilled to lighten her stash and help me out.  Sadly it was too large but the generosity of Andrea truly touched me. Thank you so much for reaching out to help a fellow stitcher in need.  

Oh, and for those who comment, 'wow, that's a dying art', let me tell you that this nation is growing daily.  Last count I saw was 5,350 members with more knocking at the proverbial door!  Talk about a support group!

6 comments:

  1. Kimberly, you are truly AMAZING! Flying Jewels is a gorgeous piece. Love the 3-D details, and you colors are yummy!
    Congratulations on another awesome design!
    PS
    I have some great shots of a dragonfly that I took in the parking lot of Central Market. I'll send them to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Sarah, will watch for your email. It really is all about the bug and my love of cone flowers. Ruth sort of dared me on this design, her words 'can't wait to see what you do with this one'!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is stunning! I'm absolutely in love with it! Oh, woe is my pocketbook.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kim - this is beautiful - I think you are on to something w/ the 3D - just provides and added interest to the whole piece -- maybe you can do more insects/flowers - just gorgeous! I feel I know a little girl who might like to have this and more like it hanging about her space! :) congrats - very well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Angie, Thank you! I'm wrapping up the background of little Emma's special pillow. I do think she needs some of Mimi's work on her walls too.

      Delete

Thank you for popping in.
Have a great day,
Kimberly